Alex Mackay's Tomato couscous with chicken legs & mangetout
Cooking time: 25-30 mins
Preparation time: 15-20 mins
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 corn fed chicken legs
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive or sunblush oil
- 60g SunBlush Peppers
- 1 small pack (80-100g) mangetout or sugar snap peas
- 1 small orange
- Half a bunch (supermarket size) chives, thinly sliced
- 1, 250g pouch of ready to eat tomato couscous
- Salt, caster sugar and cayenne pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 200c/ 400f /Gas 6 upper middle shelf. Boil your kettle.
- Start with the chicken legs; get a medium sized ovenproof pan. Put it on a medium to high heat. Add the vegetable oil and get it hot. Season the chicken legs with salt and cayenne pepper. Fry the legs, skin side down for 4-6 minutes until they are golden brown. Put the pan in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven and drain the fat. Turn the chicken legs skin side up and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken roasts, make the dressing. Get a medium sized bowl. Add the vinegar, 3 tbsp olive or SunBlush oil, SunBlush Peppers and sliced chives. Grate or zest the orange zest over the top. Peel the orange with a sharp knife. Cut the segments out of the white membranes and add these to the dressing. Season to taste with salt, cayenne pepper and caster sugar.
- Put a colander in your sink. Fill a pan with boiling water from your kettle. Add salt. Bring back to the boil, add the mangetout, bring back to the boil, boil for 3 minutes or until tender. Drain the mangetout in your colander. Return them to the pan, sauté for 20 seconds to evaporate the last of the water. Season to taste.
- Heat the tomato couscous according to the instructions on the pack. Serve with the chicken legs, mangetout and dressing.