10 minute winter chestnut salad
With only 6 ingredients and taking just 10 minutes to make, it’s hard to find a reason not to whip this salad up as a Christmas table side, or speedy winter evening dinner. The spiced chestnuts and grains make this a really hearty meal, with a good protein hit from the nuts and a satisfying crunch from the cabbage.
Suitable for gluten-free and vegans
- 160g savoy cabbage
- 1 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Spiced Grains & Chestnuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 30g pecans, roughly chopped
- 30g dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 10g fresh thyme, leaves removed
- Finely shred the cabbage and place in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and blanch for 4-5 minutes or until vibrant green and softened slightly. Drain well and return to the bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the grains in the microwave as per the packet instructions. Add to the bowl with the olive oil and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Toss together with the pecans and cranberries, reserving some to serve, then divide between two bowls.
- Top with fresh thyme leaves and the remaining pecans and cranberries.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!