Beluga Lentil Breakfast Burger
Goodness-filled and guilt-free, our tasty breakfast patty is a blend of lightly spiced Beluga Lentils and beetroot, topped with a fried egg and served in sesame seed topped mushroom bun.
By Alex Mackay
Suitable for gluten-free and vegetarians
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Beluga Lentils
- 8 very large mushrooms
- 8 tsp hoi-sin sauce
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus 3 tbsp for frying
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 100g beetroot, grated
- 6 tbsp fresh gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg plus 1 yolk
- 2 tsp & 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 200g cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Rocket to garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 220c/Gas 7
2. Put the mushrooms on a baking tray. Brush them with the hoi-sin sauce. Sprinkle 4 of them with sesame seeds. Roast for 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Sweat the onion and garlic in 1tbsp oil for 8 minutes over a medium heat. Turn up the heat and fry for 2-4 minutes until brown. Add the stock, boil, reduce by half. Mix in the Beluga Lentils. Blend to a rough puree. Add the beetroot, breadcrumbs, egg, egg yolk and red curry paste. Season.
4. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a low sided, non-stick frying pan. Spoon the lentil mixture into the pan to make 4 patties the same size as the mushrooms. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side over a medium heat until they are golden brown. Be careful, the patties burn easily.
5. Warm the tomatoes with the extra virgin olive oil for 6-7 mins until they start to burst. Season.
6. Very gently fry eggs.
8. Top a mushroom with the beluga patty, egg, rocket and sesame mushroom bun. Serve with the tomato sauce.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!