Beluga lentil and lime & salt cured hake wraps with pear, cucumber & mint salsa
This recipe is for Recovery – a high protein dish that players would eat after training or matches to help promote recovery, repair and adaptation. We are aiming for around 25g protein in a recovery meal (or 0.4 g/kgBM). It contains lean protein, slow-release carbohydrates and low fat. Good seasoning with salt in this dish is good to replace some of the electrolytes lost in sweat.
By Alex Mackay and Dr Rebecca Townsend, Nutritionist for England Hockey
For the hake
- 2 x 140g skin on hake filets skin (you could also use pollock or coley)
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- A pinch of chilli powder, more if you like it hot.
- Zest of 1 lime
For the salsa
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 lime to serve in wedges
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Half a mild red chilli, finely sliced
- Half a cucumber, de-seeded and finely sliced on an angle
- 1 medium sized pear (roughly 150g)
- 4 tbsp sliced mint, plus a few leaves to serve
For the wraps
- 4 tbsp toasted & salted pumpkin seeds or wasabi peas
- 2 whole wheat wraps
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Beluga Lentils
- 80g sour cream
- Salt, sugar, pepper and chilli powder to taste
- Put the salt, sugar, pinch of chilli powder and lime zest on a plate large enough to hold the hake. Mix together. Rub the salt mixture into the flesh side of the hake. Leave to cure for as little as 15 minutes, while you prepare the other ingredients, or as long as 24 hours. The longer the cure the firmer the flesh and the saltier the taste will be.
- Get a medium sized bowl. Add the lime juice, olive oil, sliced fresh chilli and cucumber, stir together, season to taste with salt, sugar and chilli powder, then leave to sit while you fry the hake.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Pat the hake dry with kitchen paper, add the hake to the pan, skin side down. Fry over a low to medium heat for 7 minutes until the skin is crisp. Turn the hake and fry for 2 minutes.
- While the hake fries, dice the pear and add it to the salsa. Add the mint. Season to taste.
- Put the wraps onto plates, spread them with the sour cream, heat the Beluga lentils and scatter them over the top. Spoon the salsa over everything, then top with the crisp skinned hake and the pumpkin seeds or wasabi peas. Serve with extra sour cream, lime wedges and a few mint leaves.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!