Beluga Lentil Brownies
Deep, dark, rich, gooey, slightly spicy and surprising, the Beluga lentils are like little chocolate chips inside the brownies. The combination is irresistible! You will need a 20cm or roughly equivalent oval baking dish.
By Alex Mackay
Suitable for vegetarians
The Beluga Lentils
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Beluga Lentils
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 150ml water
- 30g cocoa
The brownie mixture
- 200g unsalted butter, plus 20g for the tin
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 3 large eggs
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 65g cocoa powder, plus 15g for the tin
- 60g plain flour
- 1 large red chilli, de-seeded, finely chopped
Pre-Heat your oven to 180c/Gas 4 / Rack Position Middle Shelf.
1. Put the 300g sugar, water and 30g cocoa powder into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil. Add the Beluga lentils. Bring back to the boil. Take the pan off the heat. Leave to macerate for 10 minutes
2.In your microwave or in a bowl over pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate with the butter. Once it has melted, stir until the mixture is smooth. Leave to cool until it is just warm, do not let it go cold. Use an electric mixer to whip the eggs with the sugar for about 5 minutes until they double in volume and you can make ribbons on the top in the shape of a figure 8
3.Sieve the cocoa and flour over the top of the egg mixture. Fold together until smooth. Briskly fold this mixture into the just warm chocolate
4.Strain the Beluga lentils through a sieve, you can keep the chocolate syrup for a sauce. Stir the lentils and diced chilli into the brownies
5.Line your 20cm baking dish with soft butter then cocoa powder. Use a rubber spatula to transfer the brownie mixture into the dish
6.Bake for 25 minutes in your pre-heated oven. You can eat the brownie gooey and hot, or set it hard in the fridge overnight to cut into squares
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!