Beluga Lentil & Mushroom Burger
We can’t get enough of lentil burgers, they taste like meat but are full of vegetables and the natural flavours that come from natural ingredients. This quick and easy lentil burger is so quick and simple to make, it’s guilt and fuss free!
Recipe by Kathryn Armitage
Suitable for vegans
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, mixed with 3 tbsp water
- 250 g mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 70 g cashews
- 85g rolled porridge oats
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Beluga Lentils
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tsp miso
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to season
- Burger buns and toppings of your choice to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180c and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Mix the ground flaxseed and the water together in a small bowl and set aside to thicken – this will become your flax egg.
3. Dice your mushrooms and onion finely and mince your garlic cloves. Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and add the red onion and garlic to start cooking this off. Once this starts to brown, add the mushrooms and keep stirring, until there’s no excess water and the veggies and looking nice, brown and soft.
4. Next, add your cashews and nuts to a food processor and blend to break down any large chunks, before adding the cooked mushroom and onions, miso, nutritional yeast, mixed herbs, lentils, cornflour, flax egg, and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Pulse the mixture in the food processer until this comes together – remember, you’re not aiming for this to be a smooth mixture and it should still have some texture to it.
5. With your hands, roll out 6 even burger patties and place on a baking tray. Cook for 30 minutes, flipping them over after 15, until they’re nice and brown and a little crisp on the outside. Add a little vegan cheese at the end if you prefer, and stack in a bun with all your favourite toppings.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!