Cajun Chilli Non-Carne
One of the nation’s favourites dishes made plant-based by using our new Spicy Cajun-Style Lentils and Red Kidney Beans! Reducing your meat intake has never been easier or more delicious!
Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
- 2 tablespoons oil – rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chilli powder – adjust to suit taste preferences
- 2 heaped tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Cajun-Style Lentils & Kidney Beans
- 1/2 can kidney beans
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp cocoa powder - optional but adds a lovely richness!
- A few chopped sun-dried tomatoes - optional
- •Sliced avocado, dairy-free crème fraiche, jalapenos, chopped coriander, vegan cheese, tortilla chips and glorious grains!
- Place a large pan on the stove, and heat 1-2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil on a medium heat. Once hot, add your diced onion and sauté until soft – this should take about 5 minutes. Keep stirring, making sure they brown a little but don’t burn. Add the minced garlic and stir this in for another minute.
- Next, simply add all the remaining ingredients & mix well to combine. Add a little water – about 100ml – and let this simmer away, gently bubbling on a medium heat (without a lid). Cook your chilli for about 20 minutes whilst it thickens, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Season to taste and serve with glorious grains and your preferred garnishes!
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!