These candied chestnuts are quite a commitment, as doing them properly means spreading the work across 4 days. Don’t be put off though – each day requires only 5 minutes, and the end result is absolutely delicious!
Suitable for gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 180g granulated sugar
- 125ml water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 x 180g Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts
- Put the sugar, water and vanilla extract in a large, clean, dry saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chestnuts, bring back to the boil and continue boiling for a further 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. You do not want crystals to form.
- Pour the chestnuts and syrup into a clean, dry, heatproof bowl and gently press down to ensure the chestnuts are submerged in the syrup. Loosely cover and leave for 12-18 hours, or overnight, to allow the chestnuts to soak up the syrup.
- The following day, add the chestnuts and syrup to a clean, dry pan and bring to the boil again. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, then pour back into a clean, dry, heatproof bowl and leave loosely covered for 18-24 hours. Repeat this step 3 or 4 times or until the majority of the sugar syrup has been absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 120C (100C fan) and line a baking tray with baking paper. Remove the chestnuts carefully one by one from the bowl and place on the tray. Place in the oven, then turn off the heat and allow the chestnuts to sit for 45 minutes to dry out. Pop into individual truffle or candy cases.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!