Champagne Lentil, Chicken & Mushroom Hot Pot
This wonderful winter warmer is the perfect dish to pop the cork on our NEW Simply Cooked Champagne Lentils. Our new champagne lentils are only available for now at our pop up Grain & Graze in Islington, London but this recipe works just as beautifully with our Puy and Beluga Lentils.
By Alex Mackay
- 250g Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Champagne Lentils (Puy & Beluga Lentils would also work well!)
- 180g Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts
- 4 skin-on chicken breasts
- 200g baby chestnut mushrooms
- 20g porcini mushrooms soaked in 400g chicken stock
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g flat parsley leaves
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 190c / rack position on middle shelf
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Put a baking tray with slightly raised sides, just large enough to hold the chicken, in your oven
- Season the chicken breasts. Add them to the frying pan, skin side down. Fry over a a medium to high heat for 4 minutes or until the skin is golden
- Transfer the chicken, skin side onto the baking tray and roast for 12 minutes
- Add the baby chestnut mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes over a high heat
- Add the chicken stock, porcini mushrooms, soy sauce and tomato puree to the pan. Boil to reduce by half
- Add the cream and bring to the boil. Add the chestnuts and lentils, bring back to the boil and simmer just enough to warm them through. Take the pan off the heat
- Stir in 2 thirds of the parsley. Season to taste. Once the chicken is cooked, transfer it and it’s cooking juices into the pan. Brush with the sauce
- Leave to sit off the heat, for 2-3 minutes. Slice the chicken if you want to. Sprinkle the remaining parsley over the top and serve
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!