Chestnut Caramel Ice Cream
This dreamy ice cream makes an elegant accompaniment to any dessert, or is just as much of a treat all on its own.
By Alex Mackay
30 minutes + freezing time
Suitable for gluten-free and vegetarians
- 100g Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts, chopped into chocolate chip sized chunks
- 6 large egg yolks
- 125g caster sugar
- 250ml full cream milk
- 250ml whipping cream
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks – don’t worry about getting them very pale, just mix them well. Set aside
- Next, in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, make a dark caramel with the sugar and add the chopped chestnuts. Add the milk; be careful here as it may spit a little. Don’t worry that the sugar sets hard in a big lump; this will dissolve as it heats. Add the cream and then bring the mixture to a simmer. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved
- Pour this hot mixture slowly onto the beaten egg yolks, whisking continuously. Return the mixture to the saucepan
- Return the saucepan to a low to medium heat. Stir the custard, making sure that you get your wooden spoon into the corners of the pan so that the egg doesn’t scramble. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon
- Transfer to a bowl and cool
- Freeze the mixture in your ice cream machine for a couple of hours before serving OR freeze for approximately 5 hours, vigorously stirring the mixture every 30 minutes
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!