Chestnut Frangipane & Fig Tart
What a joyful and simple tart to make, just cut out a circle of ready rolled puff pastry and away you go!
By Alex Mackay
Suitable for vegetarians
- 360g Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts
- 300g icing sugar plus a little for dusting
- 360g softened unsalted butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 x 16cm circles of puff pastry
- 8 ripe figs
- 4 heaped tbsp fig or apricot jam
- 4 tbsp water
- Serve with crème fraiche & an ice cream of your choice
- Pre-Heat your oven to 200c / Rack position middle shelf
- For the chestnut cream, separate the 6 biggest and prettiest chestnuts. Put the remaining chestnuts into the food processor and blend to a powder. Add the icing sugar, 300g butter and egg yolks. Blend again until you have a very smooth cream, let this take a minute or two, the longer the cream blends, the lighter it becomes
- Line a baking sheet with a non-stick mat. Put 4 circles of puff pastry onto it. Put 60g of the chestnut cream onto each circle. Store the rest for another use. Spread the cream to the edge of the pastry circle. Turn the edges in slightly to make a border.
- Cut the 6 chestnuts you set aside into quarters. Push 6 quarters into the cream on each tart
- Cut the figs into 6 wedges. Put the wedges onto the tarts between the chestnut quarters
- Melt the 60g of butter and brush it over the figs. Dust the tarts generously with icing sugar
- Bake the tarts for 15-18 minutes in your pre-heated oven until they are light brown on top and dark brown around the edges.
- Put the jam and water together in a small cup or pan. Warm them through just enough to melt. Brush the melted jam over the top of the tart to glaze. Dust the edges with icing sugar
Serve with the crème fraiche and our chestnut ice cream (if using)
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!