Chestnut & Ginger Cheesecake
Who said you can’t have your cake and eat it? With chestnut puree, you can eat your cake diary free (and a small slice of guilt free!) in many plant-based scenarios. This chestnut and ginger cheesecake is a real showstopper, with the punchy ginger pairing perfectly with the creaminess of the chestnuts.
Recipe by @the_bare_scientist
45 Minutes (set overnight)
Suitable for vegans
For the Base
- 250g plain flour
- 50g sugar
- 130g vegan butter
- 1tbs ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tbs water
For the Filling
- 300g cashews, soaked in boiling water until soft
- 800g vegan cream cheese
- 2x 200g pouches of Merchant Gourmet Chestnut purée
- ¾ tbs ground ginger
- ½ tbs cinnamon
- 90g sugar
- 3 – 4 tsp of agar agar or similar
- Place cashews into a large bowl and soak in hot water for at least 1 hour until softened. Blend to a smooth consistency once ready
- Place all ingredients for the biscuit base into a mixing bowl and form crumbs with your fingers until the mixture all comes together
- Press the mix into your lined cake tin and place in the freezer for 20 minutes. Preheat your oven to 175°C. Once the dough is nice and firm, pierce several times with a fork and place into the middle of the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the biscuit base is golden and firm
- Add Merchant Gourmet chestnut purée to a medium saucepan and heat just enough to relax the contents
- Pass the blended cashews and purée through a fine mesh sieve to achieve a silky-smooth texture
- Add cream cheese to the sieved mixture along with the sugar, cinnamon and ginger
- Add the agar agar to approximately 200ml water and bring to a boil to activate. You will now need to work quickly
- Thoroughly mix the agar agar into the filling mixture and pour on top of the biscuit base, placing into the refrigerator to set for at least 6 – 8 hours, but ideally overnight
- Optional to decorate with some fresh berries and chopped dark chocolate as shown in the image
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!