Chestnut & Herb Stuffing Balls
Full of herby flavour, these tasty stuffing balls are so simple to make, but play a key supporting role in any plant-based roast dinner.
Recipe by @the_bare_scientist
Suitable for vegans
- 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 4 tbsp water
- Approx 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 7-8 large sage leaves, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 180g pouch of Merchant Gourmet chestnuts
- 50g dry oats blended or breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp each of sea salt, black pepper and ground red chilli
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Mix ground flax with water, and leave to one side to thicken
- Add 1 tsp oil to a heated skillet, followed by adding the onion, frying off for 2 minutes, then adding the garlic and frying for a further minute or so and adding the whole bay leaf, chopped herbs and cooking for a minute or so to release aromas
- Remove the mix from the heat and leave to one side to cool, also discarding the bay leaf
- Finely chop Merchant Gourmet whole chestnuts and add to a mixing bowl with blended oats or breadcrumbs.
- Add the cooled mixture into the mixing bowl and season to taste
- Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, form the mixture into balls and fry lightly for a minute or two in a heated and oiled skillet
- Place the stuffing balls onto a baking tray and into a oven to finish cooking for 15 – 20 minutes until golden and fragrant
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!