Chestnut Stuffed Butternut Squash
There’s nothing better than a roast dinner that is full of plant-based goodness and this delicious stuffed roasted squash recipe is packed with flavour. It’s simple to make, but guaranteed to stand out on a plate of roast dinner!
Recipe by @WhatLuceEats
1 hour 20 minutes
Suitable for vegans
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 leek (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 100g mushrooms (diced)
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 50g green lentils
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 180g Merchant Gourmet Cooked Chestnuts (chopped)
- 25g chopped hazelnuts
- 30g dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons of vegan sour cream
- Begin by preheating the oven to 180c. Carefully slice the squash in half lengthways and remove the seeds. Place it on baking tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Place in the oven to roast for 45-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large pan on a medium heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil along with the sliced leek.
- Cook for a few minutes before adding the garlic, mushrooms and fresh thyme.
- After 5 minutes add the soy sauce, green lentils and vegetable stock and cook for 15-20 minutes stirring frequently until the lentils are cooked and have absorbed the stock.
- Stir through the chopped chestnuts, hazelnuts and dried cranberries and cook for a few more minutes before turning off the heat.
- Once the squash is cooked, carefully remove from the oven and scoop out a small amount of the centre. Save this for a smoothie as well as the pumpkin seeds that were scooped out.
- Fill the squash with the chestnut filling and place back into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Top with sour cream and serve with your favourite trimmings.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!