Chestnut stuffing vegan sausage rolls
The winter spiced chestnut and grains make a delicious stuffing alternative in these vegan sausage rolls. The mixture comes together really easily, making it the perfect soft texture to pair with the crispy, golden puff pastry casing. Serve with some tomato chutney and mustard for a perfect Christmas canape.
Suitable for vegans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed
- 1 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Spiced Grains & Chestnuts with
- 320g roll of pre-made puff pastry
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 tbsp mixed sesame seeds
- Tomato chutney to serve
- Mustard to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan). Line a large baking tray with some greaseproof paper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onion for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme and cook for a minute or 2 more.
- Add the grains with a splash of water and heat through for 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
Put the grain and onion mix into a heat proof food processor and blitz for a minute or two until the mixture starts to come together but retains some texture.
- Roll the pastry out lengthways onto a clean surface and lightly dust with flour. Cut down the middle to create 2 even pieces. Divide the stuffing mix in half, then lay in a sausage shape on the left hand third of the pastry, leaving an inch or so gap on the left side. Roll the pastry over and continue to roll until all the stuffing is covered, brushing the right side of the pastry with a little melted butter and pressing gently to seal. Continue to roll over so the seal is on the bottom, shaping into a dome shape with your hands if needed. Repeat with the remaining mixture and pastry.
- Brush the top with the melted butter, then sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Cut into 2 inch sausage rolls, then place on the baking tray. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with tomato chutney and mustard.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!