Chunky Vegetable and Glorious Grain Soup
This tasty, hearty soup is great for using up leftover bits of vegetables, you don’t necessarily have to stick to those listed and any vegetables will go really well; green beans, peas, mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, leeks, cauliflower, broccoli… they will all taste delicious just use in similar quantities.
Suitable for vegetarians
- 1 x 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Glorious Grains
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly diced
- 2 parsnip, peeled and roughly diced
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- Tin of tomatoes (San Marzano are perfect and will give the soup a rich tomato flavour, you can buy them in Sainsbury’s)
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- Handful of shredded savoy cabbage (about 4 leaves)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil for drizzling on top
- A few fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
1.In a heavy based pan fry the onion and garlic in a the butter until soft and translucent
2.Add the carrots, parsnips and fry until the parsnip is a little coloured
3.Add the remaining ingredients bar the olive oil and fresh basil, and cook on a moderate heat for 15 minutes
4.Serve evenly into bowls and glug a little olive oil and a sprinkle of basil on the top of each bowl
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!