Comforting vegan cottage pie
Nothing says comfort more that the traditional cottage pie but this delicious plant based lentil recipe gives the same amount of comfort with much more goodness!
1 hour 10 minutes
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 4 baking potatoes, peeled and evenly chopped
- 2 rounded tbsp vegan butter (I used Naturli)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely sliced into rounds
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 2 leaves of cavolo nero, roughly sliced
- Generous glug of red wine, ensure vegan (I used Proudly Vegan merlot)
- 2 x 250g Merchant Gourmet Tomatoey French and Green Lentils
- Add the potatoes to a large pan and cover with boiling water. Simmer for 20 minutes until softened. Thoroughly drain away the water, then add in the vegan butter and salt. Mash until soft and smooth.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 200C/ Gas mark 6.
- Add the olive oil, onion, carrot, celery and cavolo nero to a pan, and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add in a glug of vegan red wine, then reduce for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the Merchant Gourmet Tomatoey French Puy and Green Lentils until combined with the vegetables.
- Spoon the mixture into an oven-proof pie dish, leaving space at the top for the mashed potato.
- Add the mashed potato to a piping bag and use a star-shaped nozzle to pipe over the pie filling, or simply smooth the mashed potato over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!