Cumin-Spiced Carrot & Lentil Burgers with Spicy Mayonnaise
Shape the burger mixture into eight mini sliders if you’d prefer! This is homemade fast food as its best. If you like the look of this recipe, there any many more available in The Pulses & Grains Cookbook – out now!
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
For the burgers
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Beluga Lentils
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp gram/ chickpea flour
- 2 large carrots (around 120g)
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
For the spicy mayo
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 4 tbsp plant-based mayonnaise
- Plant-based brioche buns, cut in half
- avocado slices
- red onion slices
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
1. To make the cumin-spiced carrot & lentil burgers, mix the lentils, cumin seeds, turmeric, chilli flakes and gram flour together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Coarsely grate the carrots and slice the spring onions.
3. Add the carrots and half the sliced onions to the lentil mixture. Using your hands (wear thin disposable gloves, if you prefer), work the ingredients together and then shape into patties to make 4 burgers or 8–10 sliders.
4. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and, when hot, fry the patties for 4–6 minutes on each side until evenly golden. They should be crisp on the outside but
soft in the middle. Keep warm in a low oven while you layer up each burger.
5. To make the spicy mayonnaise, stir the sriracha sauce into the mayonnaise.
6. To serve, spread the cut sides of the buns with the spicy mayonnaise, add a layer of rocket followed by a burger, some avocado slices, the remaining spring onion slices, red onion slices and finish with another spoonful of mayonnaise.
7. Serve on their own or with sweet potato fries and more of the spicy mayonnaise.
To make this vegan: use vegan-friendly buns and mayonnaise.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!