Eat the rainbow Quinoa Coconut Porridge
“The wonderful dietitian Sian Porter speaks eloquently about how eating the rainbow is important, exciting and good for you. To make something resembling a rainbow on top of this quinoa porridge turned out to be a little more tricky than I’d hoped for as of course the fruit don’t come in convenient sizes ever-decreasing semi-circles, but I persevered and got a bit of a wonky rainbow, smiled and ate it up. So you can have a play and make a rainbow, or just cut everything up and shower the rainbow over the top. Feel free to vary the fruits to use what is in season, what you fancy, or just what you happen to have in the bowl. The lime is key though, it gives the porridge a vigorous burst of freshness and you a great burst of zest for whatever is next…”
By Merchant Gourmet cook Alex Mackay
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Red &White Quinoa
- 2 tbsp very finely grated ginger
- 325ml coconut milk (keep the rest of the tin to go on top)
- The seeds from half a vanilla pod or 1 tsp essence
- Zest & juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1 ripe kiwifruit, peeled & cut into slices
- Half a ripe papaya, peeled & cut into 12 wedges
- Half a ripe mango, peeled and sliced into 12 wedges
- Put the quinoa, ginger, coconut milk and vanilla into a medium sized saucepan. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat to low, then simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes until it is the texture of rice pudding. You may need to add a little more coconut milk as it cooks.
- Just before serving, stir in the lime juice and lime zest. The texture should be slightly mousse-like. Put whatever remains of the coconut milk in a little jug to serve on the side.
- Serve the fruit on top of the quinoa porridge in a rainbow, a sunshine, a shower, or any way that makes you smile.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!