Freekeh, Chestnut & Quinoa Granola
“This is a crunchy, chewy, golden and glorious way to start your day. Make sure you’ve always got a jar of this granola handy then alongside yoghurt and fruit you’ve got a beautiful bowlful for your table, or a portable pot to take to work or school. This recipe with the freekeh is new, as I’ve done a great many versions of the granola with all sorts of grains. It looks so pretty layered up with different fruit, you can brighten up the winter with tropical fruit or citrus, celebrate the spring with rhubarb and blaze into summer with berries. The granola can be made at least 2 weeks ahead. Store in an airtight container”
By Merchant Gourmet Cook, Alex Mackay
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
For the Granola
- 1 x 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Freekeh
- 1 x 180g pouch Merchant Gourmet Chestnuts, thinly sliced
- 100g walnuts, quartered
- 150ml agave syrup
- 150ml grapefruit juice / keep the zest for later
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 x 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked red & White Quinoa
- 50g chia seeds
- 50g linseeds
- 50g of the granola mix
- 150g per portion of live bio yogurt or almond yogurt for a vegan option
- 100g per portion of your favourite fruit, I like this with berries mixed with berry smoothie, or tropical fruit mixed with mango and passionfruit smoothie or mixed citrus fruit
- Pre-Heat your oven to 170c / Rack Position Middle Shelf.
- Get a baking sheet with low sides (the low sides are important, if it is a deep tray, this impacts the cooking time enormously) just large enough to hold everything. Put the freekeh, sliced chestnuts and walnuts on top. Add the agave syrup, grapefruit juice and vanilla extract. Mix together well. Spread the mixture thinly over the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir the mixture 3 times so it doesn’t burn around the edges.
- Take the tray out of the oven. Turn the heat down to 120C. Add the quinoa, chia and linseeds to the granola. Add the grapefruit zest. Mix well. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Check and stir frequently.
- Take the granola out of the oven. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- To serve, spoon your fruit into bowls, glasses or pots. Spoon the yoghurt alongside or on top. Just before serving, sprinkle the granola over the yoghurt.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!