Freekeh & Spiced Squash Winter Salad
This is an autumnal explosion of flavours; sweet, sour, spicy and super satisfying! The salad can be served at room temperature, warm or hot, so everything up to the point of adding the rocket can be done up to a day ahead.
By Alex Mackay
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Freekeh
- 90g Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Chestnuts, sliced
- Half of a large butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced
- 80g dried apricots, diced
- Grated zest of half an orange
- Grated zest of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 mild red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 40g rocket, 3/4 sliced and leaves of leftover 1/4
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt, sugar & ras el hanout
- Pre-heat your oven to 220c.
- Spread the squash and peppers into an oven tray with low sides, just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss with the oil, salt and 1 tsp raz-el-hanout. Roast for 18-22 minutes on the top shelf of your oven until the vegetables are lightly caramelised and tender
- Boil the 200ml orange juice until it has reduced by three quarters. Mix with the citrus zest, citrus juices, ginger, and extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt, sugar to balance the acidity and ras-el-hanout to the level of spice you prefer. Once the vegetables are roasted, toss them with 2 tbsp of this mixture
- Warm the Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Freekeh according to the instructions on the packet. Mix it with the remaining dressing, dried apricots and chilli. Fold the hot roasted squash and sliced rocket in gently. Season to taste
- Scatter the toasted pumpkin seeds, sliced chestnuts and whole rocket leaves over the top. Serve at any temperature except fridge cold
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!