Freekeh Superfood Salad
“The raw beetroot bleeds deep purple into the freekeh, giving a crunch to go with its chew and a delightfully sweet aftertaste. The topping is a moreish mix of texture and flavour, which is so delicious; the fact that it’s incredibly good for you is relegated to a rewarding afterthought. This is a great salad for kids, full of colour, crunch and chew, just leave the harissa out of theirs!”
By Alex Mackay
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Freekeh
- Grated zest of 1 orange and 5 tbsp juice, segments from a second orange
- 1 red beetroot, 150g peeled
- 1 striped beetroot, (if you can’t get this, substitute with a red) 150g, peeled
- Half a tsp harissa (more if you like it hot)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon and 3 tbsp juice
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and finely sliced
- 4 pieces of sprouting broccoli
- 1 small fresh red pepper, de-seeded and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp sliced flat leaf parsley
- Salt, sugar and cayenne pepper
Prep Ahead – The freekeh and beetroot can be mixed at least an hour ahead, the topping is better mixed just before serving to keep the fennel crisp.
1.Get 2 medium sized bowls. Add the citrus zest and juices to one of them. Mix together well. Pour half into the second bowl
2.Grate the red beetroot into one of the bowls. Grate half of the striped beetroot into the bowl, slice the other half very finely. Set aside. Add the harissa. Warm the Freekeh according to the instructions on the packet. Add it to the grated beetroot. Stir together well, season to taste, with salt, sugar to balance the acidity of the citrus and cayenne pepper for a little bite
3.Add the sliced fennel, sprouting broccoli (either raw or quickly boiled), peppers, chia seeds, parsley, finely sliced striped beetroot and orange segments. Toss together well. Season to taste
4.Spread the freekeh over a large plate, top with the salad mixture, then serve
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!