Fried chicken with a quinoa, Parmesan and herb crust
A twist on the classic fried chicken, add even more texture and a healthier addition by mixing quinoa with your breadcrumbs! It will be a firm favourite for all the family!
By Sophie Michell, our Wellbeing Chef
For the tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tin tomatoes
- ½ dried oregano
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- pinch sugar
- sea salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaves torn
For the Fried Chicken
- 100g flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 50ml milk
- ½ packet Red and White Quinoa
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts
- 200g mozzarella
- 50g parmesan
1. Start off by making the tomato sauce. Chop the onion and finely crush the garlic. Place in a medium saucepan with the 1 tablespoon of oil and bring to a low heat, carefully cook for about 10 minutes until translucent. Then add the tomatoes, chili, oregano, tinned tomatoes, seasoning and sugar. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 30 minutes, until thick and glossy. Then add the torn basil.
2. Then take the chicken and lay it carefully onto a chopping board. Cut down the right hand side (but not completely through) then open up the breast to form a butterfly shape and so it is a similar thickness across.
3. Then whisk the eggs with the milk and place in a shallow bowl, then place the flour in another shallow bowl, then finally the seasoned quinoa in another bowl.
4. Take the chicken breasts and dredge through the flour (then pat off excess) then the egg wash, then the quinoa, so it coats it completely. It is messy business, but worth it!! Repeat with the other chicken breast and place on a chopping board.
5. Heat a frying pan to medium heat with a 1 tablespoon of oil, season again and carefully lay the chicken breasts in the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes each side until golden and crispy, flipping over when needed.
6. Pre-heat the grill to high then when the chicken is completely cooked throughout, place on a baking tray, spoon a good spoonful of tomato sauce on top then add the sliced mozzarella and the grating of Parmesan. Pop under the grill and grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Save the leftover tomato sauce for another meal, it’s great with pasta.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!