Genovese Grains with Green Beans & Parmesan
This fresh yet filling side dish is the perfect accompaniment to any pasta dish, and will keep perfectly well in the fridge for a few days after prepping.
Suitable for gluten-free and vegetarians
- 2 x pouches Merchant Gourmet Pesto-ey Italian Style Grains
- 120g green beans
- 200g new potatoes
- 5 heaped tbsp plant-based pesto
- A bunch of basil leaves, torn
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Flaked sea salt
- 4 handfuls of pine nuts
- Plant-based Parmesan to finish
- Top and tail the green beans then blanch them in salted boiling water for about 2 minutes, until bright green and tender but still crisp. Drain and run cold water over them. Set aside.
- Bring a separate pan of salted water to the boil then add the potatoes, turn down the heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes, until you can poke a knife through them. Drain and allow to cool before slicing in halves or quarters, depending on their size.
- In a dry pan on a medium heat, toast the pine nuts until golden and fragrant, keeping an eye on them and stirring regularly so they don’t burn. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Put the beans and potatoes in a large mixing bowl with the Italian grains, the pesto, the torn basil leaves and a drizzle of oil. Toss together well so that everything is evenly coated. Season to taste.
- Pile the mixture into a serving bowl and garnish with the pine nuts, some torn basil leaves and a generous shaving of Parmesan.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!