Lentil Cooked Breakfast
“The cooked breakfast is an intrinsically British institution, but this one has no meat and ingredients from all over the world that end up harmoniously on the same plate. It’s plant based food for everyone, tasty, witty and pretty enough to make me skip eggs for a week or two. My favourite bit is the lentils; which my family and I eat a couple of times a week at all different times of day, I think a comfort food dinner based on the lentils, porcini sausages and roast mushrooms is next on the cards”
By Merchant Gourmet Cook, Alex Mackay
A 401g serving of this recipe is:
- Low in saturated fat
- Low in sugar
- A source of fibre
- Counts as 1 of your 5 a day
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 8 medium sized or 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 4 vegan porcini sausages (see vegan porcini sausage recipe)
- 4 little bunches of baby plum tomatoes on the vine (or 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut in half)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 tsp for the avocado's and corn
- 100g cooked beetroot, very finely sliced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 250g Merchant Gourmet Tomatoey French Puy & Green Lentils
- 100ml tomato juice
- 2 avocados
- Half tsp turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
- Preheat your oven to 200c/Rack Position Middle Shelf
- Put the vegan sausages, mushrooms and tomatoes on a large baking tray, leaving space for the beetroot. Brush everything, all over, with extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Next, lay the slices of beetroot overlapping slightly, on the tray so that you have 4 rectangles, each about 15cm long. Brush these with maple syrup then sprinkle them with salt.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes until everything is hot and the mushrooms are golden. If you are not quite ready with the other ingredients, turn the oven off and leave the door slightly open to keep everything hot without overcooking
- While the other ingredients roast, halve, de-stone and peel the avocados. Brush them all over with 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil. Mix the corn with a 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and the turmeric, season to taste with salt and pepper. Fill the holes in the avocados where the stones were with the corn. Put them onto your plates.
- Warm the tomatoey lentils with the tomato juice in a pan.
- Serve the saucy lentils with the mushrooms, porcini sausages, tomatoes, maple glazed beetroot and avocados.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!