Puy Lentil Croquettes
Another far flung plate from our tireless travels. Crispy Puy Lentil and sun-dried tomato croquettes served with aioli & a hot splash of Sriracha.
– By Alex Mackay
Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Puy lentils
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100g, drained weight, semi-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 50g flour
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and cayenne pepper or piment d’espelette
- 9 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp siracha chilli sauce
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
1. Put the garlic, olive oil, water, Puy lentils, salt, sugar and red wine vinegar into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer for 3 minutes.
2. Blend the lentils and cooking liquor to a puree in your liquidiser. The mixture will be thick, stop the liquidiser and scrape down the sides if necessary. Transfer the puree to a bowl. Season with salt and cayenne. Add the sunblush tomatoes to the liquidiser and puree them roughly with a little of their oil.
3. Mix the lentil puree and sun-dried tomato puree just enough to marble the two.
4. Pipe or spoon 18 cylinders onto a tray lined with a non-stick sheet (at this point roll in the panko breadcrumbs for a vegan version). Freeze for about 90 minutes until hard.
Dip each cylinder first in flour then beaten egg, then the panko breadcrumbs until they are well coated.
5. Pre-Heat your deep fryer to 175c
6. Carefully deep fry, in batches if you need to from semi-frozen until golden. Drain on kitchen paper. Lightly marble the mayonnaise and chilli sauces together. Serve.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!