Quinoa and Vegetable Potato Cakes
Potato cakes with a twist! Perfect for a hearty plant-based brunch or for popping in your lunch boxes for a filling lunch time treat
1 hour 15 minutes
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 1 kg Maris Piper potatoes (a good floury potato helps), scrubbed and unpeeled
- 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ of 1 leek, finely shredded
- 1 large spring green leaf, finely shredded
- 2 leaves of savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small carrot grated
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Red and White Quinoa
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- *2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil if choosing to shallow fry
- Cut the potatoes into even chunks and place into a large pot of water. Bring to the boil and cook through until they can be easily pierced with a fork (roughly 15 minutes).
- Whilst the potatoes are boiling, mix the flax and water and leave to one side and also prepare all of your vegetables and place into a large mixing bowl
- When the potatoes are cooked through, drain well and leave to rest for 5 minutes
- Return the potatoes to the large pot and mash thoroughly, then transferring to the mixing bowl
- Add in the Merchant Gourmet Red and White Quinoa, followed by the flax and nutritional yeast and seasonings. At this point, pre-heat the oven to 200°C
- Thoroughly fold everything in and mix to incorporate all ingredients, scooping our 2-3 heaped tablespoons to form a large patty in your hand. Press the potato mixture firmly together and either shaped the edges by hand or use a cookie cutter for a neater edge
- Place all patties onto a large lined baking tray and into the oven, cooking for 40-45 minutes, turning at the 20 minute mark
- Optional to get a little extra golden colour and crisp up the potato cakes further by finishing off with a quick shallow fry in a heated skillet
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!