Smoky breakfast beans
This is a delicious twist on the traditional brunch of baked eggs, or shakshouka. Ready in just 25 minutes, this protein-packed breakfast… For a real show-stopper Sunday, serve in the skillet with big chunks of bread to dip in the sauce.
Suitable for vegans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g tin cannellini beans, haricot beans or butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 100ml vegetable stock or water
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 x 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Smoky Spanish-style grains and rice
- 10g fresh chives, chopped, to serve
- ½ avocado, sliced, to serve
- Fresh bread, to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Once the pepper has started to soften, add the chopped tomatoes, beans, tomato puree and vegetable stock (or water) with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer and lower the heat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the grains and stir to combine, adding a little more water if needed. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Serve with the chives and avocado or a big chunk of bread.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!