Smoky Tomato & Puy Lentil Soup
“This is a little like a lentil minestrone with a few spices added, one of which is the paprika that gives the soup a smoky kiss. You can adapt the soup to suit the time of year, just serve as it is for a warm and comforting cuddle in winter or add vibrant green vegetables for spring and summer. Make a great batch of this soup, it doesn’t lose anything from being frozen and at times, like the cold but sunny day that I’m writing this, it is the perfect thing to warm you from the inside out. Sometimes it feels better when food is is freshly cooked, other times it feels better when you don’t have to cook but you can still eat something you made”
By Alex Mackay
One 336g serving of this recipe is:
- Low in fat
- Low in saturated fat
- Low in sugar
- High in fibre
- A source of protein
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled and finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 250g pouches of Merchant Gourmet Tomatoey French Puy & Green Lentils
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika (hot or sweet, up to you)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 6-7 heaped tbsp (or more, up to you) finely sliced basil
- Get a large saucepan. Add the olive oil, onions and garlic. Put a lid on the pan and sweat over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 7-8 minutes, until the onions are soft but not starting to brown.
- Add the vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes, lentils, smoked paprika and turmeric. Bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and more of either spice if you’d like to, add the basil right at the last possible second for a burst of freshness. Serve in hot bowls.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!