Spiced chestnut and pear chutney
This chutney is really easy to make and a great gift for friends and family, sealed in a jar and tied up with ribbon. The spices add a warming, festive feel, making it the perfect chutney to pair with cold meats on Boxing Day. Keeps for up to 3 months sealed in the fridge.
1 hour 30 minutes
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 1 x 180g Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts
- 400g pears, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
- 400g onions, chopped
- 400g caster sugar
- 150g raisins or sultanas
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds (optional)
- 600ml apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
- Roughly chop the chestnuts and set aside.
- Put the pears, onions, sugar, raisins, mixed spice, orange zest and juice, mustard seeds and apple cider vinegar in a large lidded saucepan. Gently bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once boiling, allow the chutney to bubble for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the mixture has thickened significantly. You should be able to draw a spoon through across the base of the pan leaving it clear for a second or so.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chestnuts. Divide the chutney between 3-4 sterilised jars and allow to cool. Place in the fridge.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!