Spiced stuffed squash with creamy dressing
Subtly spiced pearl barley and wild rice with chestnut pieces and cranberries make for a delicious stuffing for butternut squash, or any other vegetable for that matter. Simply bake, stuff and serve with a simple creamy dressing and salad.
Suitable for vegans
- 1 Butternut Squash
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Spiced Grains & Chestnuts
- Mixed seeds to serve
For the dressing
- 60g Chickpeas
- 3 tbsp Chickpea water
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 2tbsp Olive oil
- A few leaves of sage
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat Oven to 180C
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds and score in a criss-cross pattern
- Rub with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake in the oven for approx. 40minutes depending on the size
- In the meantime, in a blender, put all the ingredients for the dressing and blend until smooth. For a thinner consistency, add a touch more chickpea water and for a thicker consistency, add a few more chickpeas and blend. Season to taste.
- After 40 minutes, check the thickest part of the butternut squash with tip of the knife, if it goes in easily then it is cooked through, if not, put back in for 10 minutes longer.
- Spoon the Spiced Grains & Chestnuts into the base of the butternut squash and pop back into the oven for 5-10minutes to heat through.
- Serve drizzled with the creamy dressing and a sprinkle of mixed seeds alongside a simple green salad.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!