Sticky Caramelised Chestnut Cinnamon Rolls
The perfect plant-based, sticky, delicious treat! Perfect for Easter to Mothers day to afternoon tea. A real showstopper for sure, we can guarantee it will be worth every bit of effort put into this bake!
Recipe by @avantgardevegan
1 hour + rising time
Suitable for vegans
- 400g/3 & 1/3 cups Strong White Bread Flour
- 85g/3/4 cup Corn Flour/Corn Starch
- 60g/1/2 cup Icing Sugar
- 2 tsp Fast Action Dried Yeast
- 410ml/1 & 3/4 cups Non-Dairy Milk
- 115g/1/2 cup Vegan Margarine, melted
- 1 x 180g pouch Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts, chopped small
- 3 tbs Ground Cinnamon
- 5 tbs Light Brown Sugar
- 115g/1/2 cup Vegan Margarine
- 120ml/1/2 cup Maple Syrup/Agave Nectar
- 180g/1 cup & 1/2 cups Icing Sugar
- 80g/1/3 cup Vegan Cream Cheese
- 56g/1/4 cup Vegan Butter
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract/Bean Paste
- First up prepare the dough. Add all the dry ingredients to your bread mixer or large mixing bowl. Mix together well then add the wet ingredients. Bring the mix together into a ball of dough then knead on medium speed for 5-6 minutes (with your dough hook attached if using a bread mixer).
- Once you’ve kneaded the dough, lightly grease a large mixing bowl and place the dough in.
- Cover over the bowl with a wet kitchen towel & place it somewhere warm for around 90 minutes to double in size.
- Alternatively you can place the dough in the fridge overnight to slowly rise, saving you time making the rolls the next day.
- Lightly flour your surface and turn the risen dough out of your bowl. Roll the dough into a long rectangular shape around 1cm thick.
- Evenly dust the dough with cinnamon, brown sugar & a generous sprinkle of chopped Merchant Gourmet chestnuts.
- Roll the dough up width ways into a long sausage shape, quite tight if you can. Then cut the sausage into 9 rounds.
- Arrange the pieces cut side up in a lightly greased baking dish/tray then cover over with a clean kitchen towel & place somewhere warm for around 45 minutes for them to rise up.
- Pre heat your oven to around 180 degrees C.
- Meanwhile, make the sticky glaze. Heat the maple & margarine in a saucepan over a low heat. Once the margarine has melted remove it from the heat & set aside until you’re ready to use.
- Once the rolls have risen, pour over some of the sticky glaze. Then place the rolls into the oven on the bottom shelf.
- Bake the rolls for 25 minutes before removing them from the oven to carefully add more of the sticky glaze.
- Place the rolls back into the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together the icing ingredients.
- After 35 minutes in the oven your rolls should be beautiful & golden.
- Remove them from the oven & let them cool for 15 minutes in the dish/tray with a kitchen cloth over the top, this will ensure your rolls stay nice and soft.
- Before serving top the rolls with lashings of icing.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!