Summer fruit tart with quinoa crust
This tart is the taste of summer and the perfect light dessert for a post BBQ treat. Ideal for sharing with friends, topped with your favourite seasonal fruits.
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, ground in a pestle and mortar if possible
- 2 tbsp water
- 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet 100% Red & White Quinoa
- 25g coconut oil, melted
- 60ml maple syrup
- 50g almond or oat flour
- 240ml plant based milk
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 240ml full fat coconut milk
- 120ml agave or rice syrup
- Fresh fruit to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160 fan) and grease and line an 8inch pastry case.
- In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds with 2 tbsp water and set aside.
- Put the quinoa, coconut oil, maple syrup and almond flour in a food processor and blitz for a few minutes until it starts to come together. Add the chia seed mix and stir through until fully combined.
- Tip the mixture into the pastry case and using wet hands, gently press to create the crust. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until slightly golden round the edges, then remove and set aside to cool.
- To make the custard, pour the milk, cornflour, coconut milk and syrup into a non stick saucepan and whisk until smooth. Heat on a medium heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the custard starts to form on the bottom of the pan. Then turn the heat down to low and continue to stir until it reaches thick custard consistency – anywhere between 8 and 15 minutes.
- Pour the custard into the pastry crust, tap gently on your work surface to get rid of any air pockets, then place in the fridge to set for at least 4 hours.
- Once set, chop and arrange the fruit on top and serve.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!