Super Quick Quinoa & Smoothie Porridge
“This is a great illustration of how you can combine some store cupboard and fridge staples to make a recipe of your own. It’s an extension of my Magic Fridge idea; you’re just getting a little hand your kitchen from Merchant Gourmet and me while you cook. This porridge is only sweetened by the smoothie, but you could add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup, granulated sugar mixed with citrus zest is also nice and extremely pretty. The fruit and nut toppings are optional, more suggestions than instructions, you can change them according what you prefer, what’s in season and what you have handy”
By Merchant Gourmet Cook, Alex Mackay
A 252g serving of this recipe is:
- Low fat
- Low in saturated fat
- Low in salt
- A source of fibre
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- Quarter of a 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Red & White Quinoa
- 100ml berry smoothie (I used strawberry and banana, blackcurrant is also beautiful) plus 2 tbsp to pour over the top)
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, plus a few extra for the top
- 30g raspberries, to serve
- 1 tsp chia seeds, (optional) to serve
- 1/2 tablespoon pistachios, (optional) to serve
- Combine the quinoa, smoothie and 2 tbsp dried cranberries in a microwave-proof serving bowl. Stir them together well. Cover the bowl with a plate.
- In a 650-700 Watt microwave, heat for 3 minutes on full heat. You may need to experiment with the timing as all microwaves are different.
- Leave to sit for 2 minutes, then being careful, as the quinoa porridge will be extremely hot and will have come up the sides of the bowl, take the bowl out of the microwave.
- Top with the fresh raspberries, 2 tbsp of smoothie, the chia seeds and chopped pistachios.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!