Tomatoey French lentil bolognese
This lentil bolognese is a real crowd pleaser. Seasoned with fresh herbs and packed full of protein, this high fibre vegetarian alternative won’t have you compromising on flavour. Double up the quantities and pop a couple of portions in the freezer to make for easy meal planning.
Suitable for vegans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 100ml water
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 150g spaghetti
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Tomatoey French Lentils
- 10g parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large lidded casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the carrot and onion and fry for 3-4 minutes or until starting to soften. Reduce the heat to low, cover and sweat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the veg doesn’t burn.
- Put a large pan of salted water on to boil.
- Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 2 minutes more, until fragrant. Add the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, soy sauce and water with a big pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti as per the packet instructions. Drain, reserving a little of the pasta water and set aside.
- Stir the lentils into the tomato sauce, then reduce the heat to low and leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes until the lentils are heated through.
- Toss the pasta through the sauce, along with the parsley and a little of the pasta water if needed. Season to taste, then serve.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!