Ultimate (Christmas) Leftover Sandwich
Make the most of those delicious roast leftovers by packing them into thick white bread for the ultimate Christmas sandwich…or Monday sandwich with leftovers. Or any day sandwich, it’s that good.
Suitable for vegans
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Spiced Grains & Chestnuts
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- Leftover roasted vegetables (i.e carrots, parsnips)
- Leftover braised red cabbage
- Kale/Spinach/Winter Greens
- Pickled red onion slices
- Thick sliced white bread
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Tip the Spiced Grains & Chestnuts into a pan with approx. 50ml water and heat gently
- Sprinkle over the cornflour and mix well to combine, stirring over the heat for 3 minutes.
- Take off the heat, put into a food processor and blitz the mixture until the grains break down slightly
- Shape into small patties and put on an oiled tray and bake for 15 minutes
- Layer up your ultimate leftover sandwich as follows and make sure you pack in plenty of each:
- Cranberry Sauce
- Leftover roasted root vegetables
- Spiced Grains & Chestnut Patties
- Braised red cabbage
- Pickled red onions
If you don’t have any leftovers bur still want the sandwich (we can understand why) use the recipes below.
- Roast chunks of carrot/parsnip/celeriac with olive oil, salt & pepper for 40 minutes until soft and golden.
- Put sliced red cabbage in a saucepan with 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 2 star anise, 100ml red wine, 100ml red wine vinegar, 50g brown sugar, 50 ml orange juice. Bring to a simmer, put the lid on and cook for approx. one hour then remove the lid and continue cooking to reduce the liquid.
- Finely slice the red onion, mix well with a pinch of salt and sugar then sprinkle over a few spoons of red wine vinegar and leave to marinade
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!