Quick Chestnut Soup
“This can be an elegant soup, a rustic one or a mixture of the two. It is certainly the quickest soup I have ever made, just chestnut puree, stock and cream. After that, it can become a chameleon, soothe yourself with sour cream and chives, freshen it up with herbs, chilli or citrus zest, or give yourself something to crunch on with plant based cheddar style cheese on toast, croutons or chestnut croutons. You can also replace the cream with extra virgin olive oil.”
By Alex Mackay
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 200g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Chestnut Puree
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 75ml plant-based double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prep ahead The soup will keep in the fridge for 2 days if it is carefully stored
1.Get a medium sized sauce pan. Spoon the chestnut puree into it. Add the vegetable stock and double cream. Whisk all of the ingredinets together until the mixture is smooth
2.Bring to the boil. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve as it is or with one of the following ideas
- Chestnut croutons with parsley & garlic
- Cheese on toast (do a big crouton across the top of the soup)
- Sour cream and chives
- Chopped chilli, orange zest, parsley (or chervil) and olive oil
- Bacon, croutons and rosemary
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!