Kale, watercress, mange tout & green apple Freekeh ‘zotto’ with cream cheese & basil
This recipe is for Fuelling – a dish providing energy that players could eat before training or matches. This has a slow-release carbohydrate base and is low in fat.
By Alex Mackay & Dr Rebecca Townsend, Nutritionist for England Hockey
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 90g kale, finely sliced
- 1 x 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Freekeh
- 100g mangetout, finely sliced
- 40g (give or take, 1 small supermarket bag) watercress keep a few leaves for garnish, finely slice the rest
- 8 tbsp sliced basil
- 90g light plant-based cream cheese
- Half a small green apple, finely sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Get medium sized shallow pan. Add the stock. Bring to the boil.
- Add the kale. Bring back to the boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Add the freekeh and half the mangetout. Bring back to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 1 minute to heat the freekeh through.
- Add the watercress and basil. Stir over a medium heat until it both are wilted. Take the pan off the heat. Stir in the light cream cheese.
- At this stage if you’d like the texture to be saucier, add a touch of hot water. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Scatter the remaining mangetout, watercress leaves and apple over the top and serve.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!