You don’t have to give up your Sunday roast to eat plant-based meals throughout the weekend. Lentils are the perfect main ingredient for the main part of a roast dinner, simple to use and they pack a mighty punch of protein.
Recipe by Gaz Oakley
This recipe is high in fibre, a source of protein and low in saturated fat, sugar and salt
Suitable for vegans
- 1 & ½ cups / 150g Sweet Potato, cubed and steamed
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 250g / approx. 4 Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Onion, chopped fine
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped small
- 2 tbs Mixed Dried Herbs
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Pinch Sea Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup / 125g Breadcrumbs
- 1 x 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts, blitzed
- 1 x 250g Pouch of Merchant Gourmet Puy Lentils
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Roast Potatoes
- Winter Vegetables
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C. Line a medium sized baking dish / loaf tin or small pudding tins with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the mushrooms in a blender and blitz until they are finely chopped.
3. Place a large, non-stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add the oil & when the pan is hot, add the mushrooms. You want to sauté them for around 5 minutes so that you get rid of some of the water inside them & get them nicely golden.
4. Next, add the onion, garlic & red pepper to a pan, plus the herbs, cayenne pepper & seasoning.
5. Sauté the mix for 5 minutes, stirring often.
6. When you’ve got a nice colour on everything, add the sweet potato. Sauté the mix for a few more minutes before adding the breadcrumbs, chestnuts, lentils and lemon zest. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined. Turn the heat off, then using an old-fashioned masher, lightly mash the mix breaking down any large chunks of sweet potato or chestnuts.
7. Spoon the mixture into your lined loaf tin / tins & compact it in as much as you can.
8. Place the lentil roast on the bottom shelf of your oven to roast for 30 minutes.
9. Once your roast has been in the oven for 30 minutes, take out and let it stand for around 10 minutes before place a flat baking tray on top. Then carefully, whilst holding the tray with one hand & the loaf win with the other, turn the tray upside down so that the roast comes out. Peel off any greaseproof paper that’s stuck.
10. Serve your Merchant Gourmet Lentil Roast with trimmings of your choice.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!