No Beef Stew
This dish is full of the comfort of a beef stew but without the meat. Simple to make and full of flavour its perfect for a warming, hearty dinner on a winters day
Suitable for vegans
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500ml veggie stock (we used 3 stock cubes)
- 100ml vegan-friendly red wine
- 400ml passata or tinned tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp vegan Worchester sauce or mushroom ketchup
- 1 square dark chocolate (optional but great for added flavour)
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Beluga Lentils
- 125g pouch Merchant Gourmet Tomatoey French Puy & Green Lentils
- 1 ½ dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh parsley to garnish
1.This recipe couldn’t be simpler, bet a large pot and place on a medium heat with a couple of tbsp oil. Add your onions and garlic and stir for a few minutes whilst they start to brown. Add the carrot and celery and keep stirring for a couple of minutes.
2.Next, add in the veggie stock and tinned tomatoes first, before all your other ingredients. Reduce the heat a little so this is on a slow simmer with the lid on but a slight gap to let a little air out whilst the stew thickens. Cook this for at least an hour – hour 1/2 to really develop the flavours. Serve and enjoy!
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!