Pea and Spinach Soup Topped with Chestnut Croutons
A wonderfully vibrant, fresh pea and spinach soup, topped with crispy chestnut croutons. Perfect for a light lunch, or a snazzy starter.
Suitable for gluten-free and vegetarians
- 1 potato (200g roughly) - peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 12oz frozen peas
- 5oz chopped frozen spinach
- 5 mint leaves
- 750ml stock
- 2tbsp veg oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 20g unsalted butter
- 1tsp vegetable oil
For the Croutons
- 180g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20g butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp sliced parsley (optional)
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
For the soup
1. Boil the potato for approx 10 mins, until cooked – then drain and set aside
2. Slice the spring onions
3. In a separate saucepan add 1tsp vegetable oil and heat gently. When the oil is hot add the spring onions and saute them in the pan until soft
3. Next add the peas, spinach, mint leaves, potato cubes and stock to the pan of spring onions. Cover, bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat and cook gently for 10-15 minutes
4. Remove from the heat and use a blender to liquidise the soup in batches. If you’re not eating it straight away, reheat before serving
To prepare the croutons
1. Heat 1tbsp vegetable oil in a shallow pan. Add 20g butter and 2 crushed garlic cloves, and heat until the ingredients all melt together. Add a single layer of sliced chestnuts. Leave to cook for 20 seconds, then toss and cook on the other side for about 1 minute, or until golden
2. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley before serving
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!