Puglia lentils in truffle oil risotto with chestnut and porcini mushrooms
Delicious, rich in protein and fibre, this is a heart warming meal perfect for #veganuary with a decadent truffle twist. I also love to add extra vegetables into meals so I’ve included mushrooms and spinach here. Substitute the spinach with kale or top with some roasted butternut squash for a great seasonal variation.
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 1 x 250g Merchant Gourmet Puglia Lentils with Truffle infused oil
- 200g Arborio rice
- 50g Merchant Gourmet Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 250g fresh chestnut mushrooms
- 150g baby spinach leaves
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 vegetable stock cube/1 pint veg stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Truffle oil to serve
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
- First peel and finely chop the garlic and set aside
- Wash and slice the fresh mushrooms, wash the baby spinach leaves and set aside until ready to use
- Rehydrate the porcini mushrooms in about 1 pint of boiling water
- Next, chop the onion finely and fry in a large saucepan in olive oil until translucent over a medium flame
- Add the chopped garlic to the onions in the pan and stir for a minute
- Add the chestnut mushrooms to the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5-8 minutes until the mushrooms have softened
- Once the mushrooms are ready, add the rice to the pan and stir for a minute
- Crumble a stock cube into the mix and pour in the rehydrated porcini mushrooms and water mix
- Simmer over a medium heat until all the water is absorbed, keep stirring every couple of minutes
- Whilst this is simmering boil about 500mls of water and add this in as soon as most of the original water has been absorbed. Continue stirring until the rice is cooked and the water is almost absorbed again. It should now be creamy and the rice should be plump and tender
- Add the cooked lentils straight from the pouch, the baby spinach leaves, salt and pepper to season and keep stirring until the spinach just wilts
- If needed, cook off some of the liquid on a high heat until you have your desired consistency
- Serve right away with a drizzle of truffle oil
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!