Quinoa Porridge with Orange and Dried Fruits
“I cook orange into the quinoa in this recipe, filling it with freshness and a gentle acidity, perfect to both freshen and fill you up first thing in the morning. You can replace the almond milk with milk, cream yoghurt, or my favourite so far, mango and passion fruit smoothie.”
By Alex MacKay
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 250g Merchant Gourmet Red & White Quinoa
- 200ml orange juice (from a carton is fine)
- 200ml water
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 200ml almond milk
For the topping
- Zest of half an orange removed with a zester
- 80g mixed nuts and dried fruit (I used dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, almonds and pistachios)
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
1.Bring the orange juice and water to the boil. Add the quinoa and ginger. Cover the pan. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, check and stir occasionally so that the quinoa doesn’t stick to the bottom. Add the almond milk. Bring back to the boil. Take the pan off the heat. Leave to sit for 5 minutes
2.Stir in the honey (if using). Spoon into bowls, serve with the topping and more almond milk
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!