Red & white quinoa salad with peppers, sweet potato and mango with a pineapple & chilli dressing
This recipe supports immune function – it is a dish with lots of colour, herbs, spices, veg and fruit – the more the better. This is to support immune function, as intense training can weaken the immune system, particularly in the immediate period post-training or match.
By Alex Mackay and Dr Rebecca Townsend, Nutritionist for England Hockey
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200ml pineapple juice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1.5 limes & 3 tbsp juice
- 1 x 250g Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Red and White Quinoa
- 1 x 400g tin black beans, drained
- 120-160g corn kernels (1 corn on the cob or 1 tin)
- 1 mild red chilli, seeded, finely diced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced 1.5cm
- Half a small mango, peeled, diced 1.5cm
- 1 red pepper, quartered, de-seeded and finely sliced
- 6 tbsp sliced coriander (use both leaves and stalks)
- Salt, cayenne pepper, caster sugar
- Preheat your oven to 220c / Rack position, upper middle shelf
- Peel the sweet potato. Cut it into 1.5cm dice, you should have about 200g. Roast the dice in the vegetable oil with salt and cayenne pepper for 15 minutes, until it’s cooked but not browned
- While it roasts, make the dressing, boil the pineapple juice until only 4 tbsp remain. Cool then stir in the oil, lime zest and lime juice.
- Warm the quinoa according to the instructions on the pouch. In a large shallow dish, mix the quinoa with 1/2 of the dressing. Season to taste with salt, cayenne and sugar.
- Get another shallow dish to make the fruit and vegetable topping. Add the beans, corn, chilli, tomatoes, mango and peppers. Mix in the second 1/2 of the dressing. Season to taste with salt, cayenne pepper and sugar. Add the coriander.
- Mix 2/3 of the vegetable and fruit mixture with the dressed quinoa. Season to taste. Scatter the remaining 1/3 of the topping over the quinoa mixture.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!