Super Green Freekeh Salad
Freekeh, a glorious green blend of pesto, rocket, runner beans and edamame. Fresh isn’t the word!
By Alex Mackay
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 1 x 250g pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Freekeh
- 50g of basil
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp grated plant-based parmesan
- 250g of one or a mixture of Mange tout, runner beans & edamame beans
- Zest of 1 lemon and 3 tbsp juice
- 40g rocket, finely sliced (keep a few leaves to go on top)
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper, sugar & sumac
1.First, make the basil pesto. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Prepare a large bowl of cold water. Add the basil leaves to the boiling water for 30 seconds, use a sieve to transfer to the cold water. Drain. Puree the basil with the olive oil, garlic and Parmesan. Season to taste
2.Add the green vegetables to the boiling water. Boil them for a few minutes until tender. Transfer the vegetables to the cold water to stop them cooking. Drain
3.Heat the Freekeh according to the instructions on the pouch. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt, sumac and sugar
4.Add 6 tablespoons of pesto to the Freekeh. Gently fold it in. Toss the vegetables and rocket with 2 tbsp pesto. Season to taste
5.Mix two thirds of the vegetables and rocket into the Freekeh. Serve the remaining vegetables on top of the Freekeh
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!