Chestnut and Mushroom Tart
A plant-based festive feast full of the flavour of chestnuts, perfect as Christmas meal centre piece
45 - 60 minutes
Suitable for vegans
- 1.5 tbs ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons of water
- 3 cups/300g ground almonds (almond meal)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbs dried thyme
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- Some coconut oil to grease the tart dish
- 1 small white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- A generous drizzle of olive oil
- 75g mushrooms (you can use chanterelles, shiitake, button mushrooms or a combination of all 3), washed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200g vegan crème fraiche
- 1 pack (180g) Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts, roughly chopped
- a few chives, finely chopped (optional)
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
- Combine the ground flaxseed with the water in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F/190C. Line a loose based 24cm tart pan with non-stick parchment paper and grease the sides of the pan with coconut oil.
- In a bowl combine the almond meal, salt, thyme and olive oil. Mix with a spoon. Then add the flaxseed mixture. The dough should have a nice consistency and not be too wet.
- Using your fingers and/or a spoon spread the dough evenly into the prepared tart pan. Then make fork marks all over the tart crust, so that moisture can evaporate when the tart is in the oven.
- Place the tart crust in the oven and bake blind for 15-20 until the edges start to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Whilst the tart crust is in the oven, prep the filling, by heating a non-stick pan over a medium heat, pouring in a generous amount of olive oil and pan frying the onions until they are soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms together with a pinch of salt and pepper and pan fry until the mushrooms soften and the onions start to brown.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the crème fraiche and chestnuts and pour the mixture into the cooked tart crust. Spread the mixture evenly with the back of your spoon if need be and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and serve immediate with a sprinkle of chives and a fresh side salad.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!