Puy Lentil Curry
Curry night has to be one of the best nights of the week right? This is a simple one to make plant-based too. Lentils carry the spicy flavours perfectly and are full of protein and fibre.
Recipe by Gaz Oakley
Suitable for vegans
- 1 Onion, peeled
- 6 Cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1 tbs Fresh Ginger
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbs Vegetable Oil, for frying
- 1 x 250g Pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Puy Lentils
- 1 tbs Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Ground Fenugreek
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbs Tomato Puree
- 2 Potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 cups / 480ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup / 240 ml Vegan Cream, or Coconut Milk
- 1 tbs Brown Sugar
- Fresh Coriander & Chilli Garnish
1. Add the onion, garlic, ginger & salt to your food processor with a splash of water & blitz to form a paste.
2. Place a medium sized, non-stick saucepan over a medium heat and add the spices. Pan roast them for a minute or two before adding the paste & the oil.
3. Sauté the mixture for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomato puree followed by the potato & lentils
4. Keep cooking the mixture & stirring until everything is coated, then deglaze the pan with the vegetable stock & vegan cream
5. Add the brown sugar, then pop a lid on the pan and let the curry bubble away for 15-20 minutes. Turn the heat down low & don’t forget to stir it every 3-4 minutes, as the potato has a tendency to stick.
6. After 20 minutes of cooking, the liquid should have thickened considerably & it should smell beautiful.
7. Serve the curry with rice or sides of your choice & garnish with coriander and chilli.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!