Chestnut French Toast
French toast with a chestnut twist! This plant-based recipe is the perfect way to start Christmas day.
Suitable for dairy-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 2tbs ground flax seeds
- 240ml Almond Milk
- 2tsp caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tbs Merchant Gourmet chestnut puree
- A pinch of salt
- 6 thick slices of bread, preferably a day old and/or slightly dry
For the Chestnut Syrup
- 80ml maple syrup
- 80ml Merchant Gourmet Chestnut Puree
- Warm seasonal fruit
- Sliced almonds
- Place all the French Toast ingredients, except the bread and oil, in a bowl and with a handheld blender (or regular blender) mix briefly until fully combined. Place the mixture in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the French toast mixture is in the fridge, make the chestnut syrup by combining the maple syrup and chestnut puree using a handheld or regular blender.
- Remove the French Toast mixture from the fridge. Place a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat on the stove, oil lightly. Next dip a bread slice in the mixture, ensuring each side is covered equally in the French Toast Mixture and place the bread slice in the heated pan, pan frying until each side is slightly browned. Repeat for all 6 slices, stirring the French Toast mixture before dipping in each slice.
- Enjoy warm with the maple chestnut syrup, seasonal fruit and nuts.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!