MUSHROOM AND LENTIL BOXING DAY LEFT OVER BURGER
The crescendo to the festive period, the boxing day leftover burger! Made from the staple ingredients of a plant-based Christmas dinner and a great way sort out the Christmas hangover!
Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
- 2tbs olive oil
- 240g chopped white onion
- 280g mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2tbs dried thyme
- 60g almond meal
- 1 250g Pouch of Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Puy Lentils
- 2tbs tamari or soya sauce
- 1tbs white or brown miso
- 165 g breadcrumbs (you can make this using any leftover bread, broken down in a food processor and baked in oven for about 10 minutes)
- 6-8 Burger breads
- Red cabbage salad
- Lettuce, washed
- ½ Cucumber, washed and sliced
- Vegan chestnut spread
- Cranberry sauce or ketchup
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777
- Gently heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onions and sweat them down until soft and translucent. Then add the garlic, mushrooms, thyme and saute until everything is cooked through, around 5-7 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C.
- Then, place the nuts, mushroom/onion mixture, lentils, tamari and miso in a food processor and combine into a uniform, thick paste – with some texture still remaining. Mix in the breadcrumbs by hand until fully combined.
- Next take the mixture and create ‘burger patties’, around 6-8 in total, using your hands. Place the vegan burger patties on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper and bake for around 20-30 minutes, flipping the burgers at halfway point, or until a golden crust has formed.
- Whilst the vegan burger patties are baking in the oven get all the other ingredients ready and once the burger patties are done, assemble and serve immediately.
The burger patties also freeze well on the day, for 4 weeks.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!