red cabbage salad with caramelised chestnuts
The ultimate festive side, full of the warming and familiar wintery flavours of Christmas
Suitable for dairy-free, gluten-free, vegans and vegetarians
- 125g Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Red & White Quinoa
- ¼ of a large red cabbage, around 350g
- 30g fresh parsley, washed and finely chopped
- Seeds of 1 large pomegranate OR a large handful of dried cranberries, sultanas or pitted dates (chopped)
- 1 x 200g Pouch of Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts, chopped in half
- 2-3tbs maple syrup
- 1tbs water
- 1/4tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice (approximately the juice of 1 lime)
- 2-3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Take the red cabbage and discard any unsightly external layers. Then remove the stalky core at the bottom and with a mandolin thinly slice the cabbage, wash in cold water and then place the sliced cabbage in a large bowl. Add the cooked quinoa, chopped parsley, pomegranate seeds (or dried fruit) and mix well.
- Place a small pot over a low heat and add the chestnuts, maple syrup, water and ground cloves, stir continuously, for about 7 minutes or until the maple syrup reduces and the chestnuts start to caramelise. Once done, remove the chestnuts from the pot, set them aside and allow to cool.
- Finally, make the dressing by combining the maple syrup, lime juice, olive oil and cinnamon and mix well. Pour over the cabbage salad just before serving, add the caramelised chestnuts and enjoy.
How'd you get on?
If it turned out well, why not take a quick snap of your masterpiece and share the love? Remember to tag us!
Got any suggestions or improvements or tips? Let us know!